Have you ever caught yourself thinking, “there’s just not enough hours in the day”? Yeahhhhh…me too…every day. Y’all, the past few years have been AMAZING, but also completely nutso in terms of juggling all of the factors in this building-a-brand-business (re: shameless plug for The Sassy Club!!) and planning a wedding in three months!
There are days that fly by so fast I realize I didn’t get anything checked off my to-do list (wahhhhhhh). There are weeks that go by where I haven’t touched base with some of my closest friends (please don’t dump me!). Turns out I needed a lil’ time management help. Good news, guys—with some reflection and small changes, I’m so much happier and more productive than ever. Here’s a few tips to help balance that oh-so-precious commodity: TIME.
- Set your goals. Once you know what you’re after, it’s much easier to keep your eyes on da prize. Do you wish you weren’t so run down and that you had more energy? Are you aiming for less stress and more productivity? Maybe just an overall sense of achievement and well-being? Whatever your objective, figure it out and then show your goals who’s da BOSS!
- Analyze current habits. If you’re gonna make changes, you gotta figure out where you’re losing time in da first place. Let me go out on a limb and take a guess: Social. Media. If you’re like me, your smart phone is a both blessing and a curse. The age of digital media is AMAZING (hello, you’re talkin’ to a BLOGGER here), but it can also be super distracting from getting stuff done. Raise your hand if you take Insta or Snap breaks hourly throughout the day. Yep…that’s a time sucker right der.
- Prioritize! It’s true—when you prioritize, the important things will get done. So maybe color coordinating your junk drawer isn’t quite as urgent as that critical report you need to get finished on deadline…(although, listen chica, no one loves color-coordinated anything more than moi). Plan ahead by making a list of what takes precedence and then start checkin’ things off. And remember, no procrastinating! What helps me the most is creating separate to-do lists for different areas of my life. For example, I would have one for work, one for home, etc. This way I worked towards accomplishing a few tasks from each list, each day. This helps me maintain a work, life balance!
- Learn how to say “NO.” If you’re a go-getter, a perfectionist, or a habitual pleaser—I commiserate with you—then this step may be easier said than done. But TRUST ME, if you keep saying “yes” to everything that comes your way, it’s a surefire recipe for crashin’ and burnin’. You gotta acknowledge how full your life plate is, and realize that even one more serving is just not healthy. Take care of yo’self! If not, that “S” is gonna fall right off your “Sassy” and then you’re just gonna feel pretty…well, you know what I’m sayin’.
- Delegate tasks to others. Yeah, yeah, I hear ya…How on earth will a control freak like you actually LET someone else take over a duty? It’s hard, y’all, but SO necessary. You simply cannot tackle everything yourself, so ya gotta let go. If you can build a stellar team around you (mine happens to be da bomb—shoutout to my squad!), you’ll feel better about letting others help you.
So the next time you open your super cute planner and see a full day ahead, take a deep breath and remember the smart, sassy woman you are. With these time management tips, you’ll be ready to tackle whatever this crazy life throws your way. Now excuse me while I hide my phone and get back to business.
You can never have too many time management tips, I’d love to hear how you make the most of your day in the comments below!