COLLEGE IS CRAZY.
I’m not here to give you the college advice you’ve heard 100’s of times. I’m here to get practical.
I finally turn that age where I’m mature enough to appreciate my parents, my house, and those home cooked meals. Right when puberty is finally over with, my parents are a little more laid back and honestly things are starting to get good I’m forced out of my house and crammed into an icky dorm room with another chick who’s honestly, just as confused as I am. I’m alone, I’m broke, and the only things I’m given are a massive list of textbooks to buy, a library card, and a class schedule written in gibberish. It’s fair to say college is crazy but now that I’ve been there done that, these are the life hacks that helped me survive college.
. Sit back and relax as I pass onto you my most precious life hacks that I only wish someone would have told me entering college.
GETTING CONNECTED AT A BANK
Building credit, saving money, managing money, applying for financial aid, and learning about student loans. These are things they DON’T teach you in school.
I personally, love Wells Fargo because they really cater to college students! It’s like they knew exactly how intimidated I felt to start planning financially and provide the exact resources I needed to get started. So if I were you, I would check out Wells Fargo’s Get College Ready Website. I love the free tools and resources they offer to help pay for college, manage your money, build credit, and plan for the future.
HAVE A TOUGH EXAM COMING UP?
Google site:edu [subject] exam to find old exams or exams from other schools online. I usually printed these out and used them as a study tool.
DON’T UNDERSTAND A CONCEPT IN CLASS?
Don’t know remember how to find the heats of combustion for alkane metals? ME EITHER! Treat Youtube as Google and then watch and learn. Not sure I would have made it through Chemistry without Khan Academy.
Try going Cold Turkey. ColdTurkey.com blocks websites and apps for scheduled periods of time so goodbye distractions. Hello productivity.
Leave reminders, important deadlines and things to remember on your mirror with a dry erase marker. It wipes right off!
STUDY GROUP HACKS
- Differentiate your laptop and chargers with colored tape or stickers. Yes. Don’t make the same mistake I did that one time I accidentally swapped laptops with a person in my anatomy class and wasn’t able toturn in my work for the rest of the day…
- Connect on FB and post class notes, lecture notes, and practice exams and collaborate on the answers.
- Use Google drive to collaborate on study guide reviews and lecture notes to help each other prepare foran exam
TIME MANAGEMENT HACK
Treat school like a 9-5 job and never eat alone. Once 5:00 rolls around you’ll be ready to have fun, relax, andhang out with friends. All it takes is one all-nighter to learn how amazing this trick is.
DORM LIFE HACKS
- A fan cancels out noise as you study or sleep. So do ear plugs.
- Check Facebook groups for students selling (usually giving away) furniture after each semester. I’ve even see students offer to pay someone to come move a perfectly nice couch out of the apartments so they don’t have to hire movers!
FOOD: Hangry but don’t have time to go to the grocery store?
- Supercook.com allows you to input all the ingredients you have in your kitchen and gives you ideas and recipes of what you can make!
- Rotisserie chicken is precooked and delicious. I buy one every Monday and it is good for the next couple of days for chicken salads, chicken sandwiches, chicken anything!
Wanted to say thanks to Wells Fargo for partnering with me for this video. Had a lot of fun filming it. #GetCollegeReady #Ad #YouTube #CollegeHacks